This page contains links and references to documents that have been produced by Mercer and the wider industry and are intended to provide you with broader Australian industry context and economic trends that relate to longevity risk and longevity risk pooling investments. We will continue to add to this list so be sure to check back regularly.
- December 2015 - World-First Retirement Income Product wins Money Magazine's "Best of the Best"
The ground-breaking retirement investment option, Mercer LifetimePlus®, which changed Australia’s retirement income market when launched in late 2014, has been named Best Innovative Retirement Product at Money Magazine’s 2016 Best of the Best awards. View news article >
- October 2015 Financial Systems Inquiry Report – Mercer’s Summary of Implications for Australia’s Retirement Savings System. The Government has agreed to support the development of CIPRs (Comprehensive Income Products in Retirement) and will continue to work to remove impediments to retirement income product development.
Read Mercer's comments >
13 October, 2015 Mercer LifetimePlus® inventor awarded inaugural BT Innovation Award. Dr David Knox was awarded the inaugural BT Innovation Award for his innovative and outstanding contribution to improving the retirement system including the development of Mercer LifetimePlus. Mercer LifetimePlus was a finalist in the Best New Product category at the SuperRatings awards. Read article >
10 August, 2015 Guy Thorburn, leader of Mercer's retirement business in the Pacific, talks to Financial Standard's Mark Smith, about how Mercer LifetimePlus; why it is a genuine investment alternative for retirees and how it can strengthen the relationship between advisors and their clients. View video >
- 10 August, 2015 A New Way to Overcome Longevity Risk – Financial Standard. One in four Australians will outlive their retirement savings by more than 10 years. Longevity risk - the risk of outliving your savings - is one of the biggest economic and social issues facing Australians and most don't have a plan to combat it. Until now, Australians have had limited choice of investment options that pay an income in retirement for the rest of their lives. The game has changed.
View article >
- 1 May, 2015 Financial Planning magazine’s Q&A with financial advisers on how superannuation can solve the issues of longevity risk and age pension funding sustainability. Read article >
- 28 April, 2015 Mercer’s Dr David Knox responds to the Australian Financial Review explaining that the debate about planning for a sustainable retirement cannot ignore the benefits of longevity pooling.
View news article>
- Chapter 2: Superannuation and retirement outcomes – The retirement phase of superannuation of the Financial System Inquiry Final Report 2014, goes into detail around their recommendation for a “Comprehensive Income Product for Retirement” (CIPR) where account based pensions are combined with longevity risk pooling investments.
- “Spending patterns of older retirees: a new retirement standard”, Ross Clare, Director of Research, ASFA, September Quarter 2014
- “Reality tarnishes ‘golden years’ dream”, Research by Mercer on the Expectations Vs. Reality of Retirement, October 2014
- “White collar workers killing average life expectancies”, Research by Mercer on Public Sector Pensioner Mortality, August 2014
- “Australian post-retirement market underdeveloped & under pressure”, Research by Mercer on Post-Retirement Market Trends in Australia, July 2014
- “Australia’s longevity tsunami: What should we do?”, Actuaries Institute White Paper, 2012