In a complex, dynamic and highly interconnected global marketplace, organisations face increasing pressure for rapid and continuous adaption. Internal and external collaboration is critical for an organisation’s long-term success. Organisations that manage critical capabilities with a talent ecosystem will gain a competitive edge.
The classical employment model, typically hiring permanent employees to manage work activities, has given way to a different approach – the so called ‘talent ecosystem’: a collaborative, transparent, technology-enabled way of managing capabilities through networks and partnerships.
Five advantages of Talent Ecosystems
- Cost-effective, productive, flexible and scalable
- Access to critical knowledge and skills
- Ability to incubate without cultural or geographical constraints
- Building an M&A pipeline
- Positive impact on employee value proposition
The challenges of managing Talent Ecosystems
- Protection of intellectual property
- Protection of customer or supplier relationships
- Protection of reputation
- Knowledge retention/external dependency